IT Infrastructure Optimization CoE is supporting the USDA with their consolidation of data centers from 39 to 2. With accelerated closure planning and data center site visits, USDA has already met their closure goal for FY18 by closing 18 data centers. The CoE and USDA will continue to accelerate closures by helping agencies develop their migration planning/project plans for the remaining data centers scheduled to close in FY19. The CoE is supporting USDA mission areas by conducting application rationalization assessments on applications impacted by closures. The IT Infrastructure Optimization CoE is working with agency stakeholders, assessing the value of these closures to USDA, and providing executive briefings on the progress USDA is making towards its modernization work.
Will assist the strategic planning activities of federal agencies.
This CoE will assist agencies with the development of a unified and optimized IT infrastructure, leveraging federally owned data centers, cloud computing services, and commercial data centers (e.g. co-location).
- Architecture assessments
- Optimization planning
- Network consolidation
- Data center consolidation
- New business models e.g. co-location
- Developed brown bag sessions of CoE activity to ensure effective communication across USDA (March 2018)
- Completed data collection for cost benefit analysis for the National Finance Center data center (per Public Law No: 115-141 Title VII §702) (April 2018)
- Developed methodology to calculate the real estate value of data closures for the USDA data center portfolio (April 2018)
- Developed application rationalization tool with the USDA Enterprise Architecture team and conducted workshops with several agencies (April 2018)
- Of the first 19 closed, data received to date shows an estimated cost savings of 6.9-8.5M; (May 2018)
- Held a two-day workshop with Forest Service’s Geospatial Technology and Applications Center(FS-GTAC) and Farm Service Agency Aerial Photography Field Office (FSA-APFO)(May 2018)
- Completed data center site inspections in Dallas, TX, Albany, CA and Salt Lake City, UT (May 2018)
- Created and submitted a Cost Assessment Analysis on FS-GTAC in Salt Lake City, UT (May 2018)
- Built a model to estimate cost, savings, and avoidance, which was used for comparison analysis and verifying decision of USDA to migrate down to 2 enterprise data centers the National Information Technology Center in Kansas City MO, and St. Louis locations (June 2018)
- Established an online IT workforce cloud education training resource targeted for employees impacted by data center closures (July 2018)
- Accelerated closure of 21 data centers in FY 2018 which exceeded our goals for the year (August 2018)
- Constructed a data center migration plan playbook and a method to assess the existing migration plans of USDA agencies (August 2018)